March 22, 2011

Table talk

“At mealtimes in President Kennedy’s family each child had to share a current event, they became a family of politicians. In Tony Campolo’s family each child had to share the funniest thing that had happened to them that day, they became a family of storytellers…”

I love it when we all gather in one spot around the dinner table! To get the conversation rolling, nicely (and steer it right away from silly banter!!) we've got talking about these things lately around the dinner table:

On a high!
Everyone takes turns sharing the best part of their day.

Hearing about a ‘Funny’ moment from everyone's day is always good for a laugh too!!

A couple of my funnier moments I've brought to the table...
>This one was kinda embarassing too!! We were at Hillsong Conference, and I rushed into the toilets thinking it strange their were only 2 toilets in there considering the Accer arena is such a huge complex. I locked myself in one of the cubicles only to come out and realise, I was in the men's!! Aww man how did I not see the urinal on the way in...the poor guy!!

Ha and then there's the time my 6 year old kindly served me a drink of dishwashing liquid. Yep he thought it was drink concentrate... immm lemon flavour!

For starters:
This was fun: I popped a conversation starter under everyone’s plate.

Eg
~What are you looking forward to most this month and why?
~What do you like most about_______?
~What are 3 places you would take someone who has never been to our town/city?
~One word to describe yourself and why?
~What is your earliest memory?

Staying on topic:
Yep, because I really don't want to hear about poo and toilets every mealtime I've raised a quote, or topic that doesn't put us off our food, to talk about about instead.

The quote on our family blackboard as I write, is one I heard TD Jake's share;
"The world is a university and everybody in it a teacher. When you wake up in the morning be sure you go to school"
We had a great conversation on this, especially talking about admirable qualities such as loyalty, kindness, and thankfulness each of us had observed in others. Aunty Liv we talked about your gratitude and how after a family meal or something together you will send a text thanking the host.

No comments: