November 09, 2009

In through the sidedoor...

God is so good to us. Some of you may remember our struggle to get into a house when we moved back to Sydney?
!
I lived out of my packed car for a couple of weeks; staying at a caravan park when I had the kids and at a friends when they were at their dad's.

An old neighbour heard of our situation and thank-fully allowed us to rent her converted garage, which we were in for 3 months (Where we even fitted my mum in when she came to stay!
My parents recently watched a documentary in NZ on the rental crisis in Sydney. Boy don't I know it! With  a growing number of people going for each house we didn't stand a chance; umm single mum with 4 kids v's a professional couple - who would you choose?  :)

Eventually though ~sigh of relief ,our application for a house was accepted-yayyy The house was only available for 6 months, and so no one else applied!

We had a great time there~ that was our Masterchef house where the kids took over in the kitchen and cooked up a storm (literally!) Our agent noted we were good tenants and offered to help get us into another house when the lease ended. Come August however and there were nothing in her books under $500/week. Aw man!

While in that house though I became friends with the lady across the road, she's been through a similar stuff and would often knock on my door to go walk & talkn. One day while chatting she suggested we take over a few rooms in her house as she's hardly ever there. And so...we moved across the road, from 3 to 4!
 
 
It was amazing when we first moved in; the 3 boys shared a room, and while I was sorting through their toys, thought to myself wouldn't it be great to have one of those units from Ikea with all the tubs to store the Lego, and bits and pieces in. My thoughts then continued nahh I'd prefer it was a homemade version as the ikea one could be flimsy. Well that afternoon on my travels what did i spy for sale on the side of the road>> A homemade solid toy unit with the ikea tubs!!! (Cheap!) Flip Gods amazing, my friend gobsmacked too when I returned home with the toy unit I'd just talked about~ in my boot!

I don't know if the reality of our presence scared her off (!!) but a month ago she shifted out as she's buying a house with her partner and I took over the lease.

Now we're in and settled I see the the hand of God in ushering us into a cosy home... we've lived what it could have been! Its an older house, in fact the bathroom was last renovated in the 1960's, which is unbelievable as its in such good condition..but cosy and really nice to live in.
Again: God is so good!


4 comments:

Sophie said...

What an amazing journey you've been on Rebecca! God has a funny way of providing eh?

Gail said...

I love how God provides for us in ways that we simply can't work out ourselves. Limitations just do not apply!!

banban said...

That is truly yet another God moment! You have given Him praise in all you do Rebecca and He is watching over you. Awesome stuff!

Simoney said...

So amazing Bec. BTW good job on the column!